How would you like to have a fondue lunch in an igloo? I don’t think there is really a better place to eat a piping hot, cheesy fondue! And I have to say that after living in Switzerland for the last 3 1/2 years, this might just be one of the coolest (pun intended) things we’ve done here!
This unique creation at Engstligenalp is the biggest igloo in Europe and with eight different rooms, it is quite an impressive sight! The igloo can seat up to 200 people but luckily it wasn’t quite that full on the day we visited. It’s run by the adjacent mountain top hotel and to make the igloo they use huge balloons that they cover with snow. Once the rooms are formed, the balloons are removed…what an engineering feat!
All the rooms have different themes…ours was hearts and roses, but of course my favorite was the cow bell room! The fondue was local and really delicious and it was such a unique and fun experience. I’d highly recommend it!
Engstligenalp also has lots of fun winter activities to explore before or after your fondue. There is a very nice kids’ skiing area and a few bigger slopes as well. There is also a children’s igloo, a toy box with shovels and tools to play in the snow, snow tubing, and winter hiking trails. Lots to explore! We tried out the snow tubing and went for a short walk to enjoy the beautiful views. This was definitely a great day out!
- Engstligenalp can be reached by cable car at Unter dem Birg. There is a large parking lot at Unter dem Birg, or you can take the bus from Adelboden.
- Reservations are recommended for the fondu igloo…you can make them online here.
- Hours are listed from Wednesday to Sunday, 12 pm to 10 pm.
- Make sure you dress warm! It was colder inside the igloo than out…temperatures remain between -3* to +3* C so be prepared. Blankets are provided!
- Fondue is 39 CHF per person, or for a better deal you can combine it with a round trip ticket on the cable car for 58 CHF. Purchase the package at the window when you buy your cable car ticket!
Hope you enjoy this fun winter activity as much as we did!
Pin it for later…